1. Round up some awesome auction items
First things first: what are you auctioning off? The items you include in your auction will affect how you promote your online auction, who you will attract to your online auction, and it will ultimately influence how much $$ you’re able to raise for your cause.
When procuring your auction items, consider the following things:
- Who are your core supporters and what are their interests?
- What are your fundraising goals?
- How many attendees do you anticipate attracting?
- What resources do you have to pull from?
Popular traditional item categories include unique experiences, travel, sports and entertainment tickets, dining, and gift cards. Of course, it’s important to be mindful of current times. Travel, entertainment, and even dining have all been severely limited and even prohibited across the country over the last several months, and it’s anticipated that it will continue into 2021. So, it’s time to think outside the box! Think about what your core supporters would be attracted to at this moment in time and how you can really “wow” them into taking action.
Here are some of our favorite out-of-the-box ideas for great auction items in the current climate:
- Meal delivery services
- Online subscription services
- In-home entertainment equipment (TVs, sound systems, movie projectors)
- Online fitness subscription classes
- At-home workout equipment
- Sports memorabilia
- Kitchen sets
- Virtual guitar lessons
- Outdoor activities (kayaking, horseback riding, snow shoeing tours)
It’s important to offer a variety of items. Focusing on one item category may limit participation in your online auction. Start soliciting for items ahead of time, and make sure you seek out people in your network who can donate unique, attention-grabbing items.
2. Set appropriate starting bids
3. Promote, promote, promote
4. Choose the right auction software
5. Make them feel like they’re there
- Livestream the auction
- Include leaderboards on your event page
- Announce winners on your live stream and social media accounts
- Hold different contests throughout the event to keep supporters interested and excited
- Enable text-to-give features to allow people to bid on an item via text message.
- Provide hi-def images (or even videos!) of auction items.
6. Let your auction run
7. Thank your supporters
Online channels will continue to provide key ways to connect with supporters that may not otherwise be able to attend your event. This includes people limited by travel time, physical disabilities, or even something more trivial like the babysitter cancelling last minute.
Embrace this shift in demand and take this challenge head-on. And don’t worry, we’re here to help! Schedule a 15-minute demo with one of our Eventgroove Fundraising account specialists today to learn how simple fundraising can really be!
Start Fundraising Online Today
So, what are you waiting for? Create an account and launch your virtual auction today.
Want to learn more? Schedule a demo below.
We’ll tell you what Eventgroove Fundraising can do to reach your fundraising goals.