If you haven’t started planning or are halfway there, these four back-to-school event ideas will help you kick off the coming year and get the school spirit flowing.
Back-to-school event ideas
A New Family Event
Event idea: Ice cream social
Bonus tip: Create name badges that invite interaction. Try asking everyone to write something about themselves on the name badge (like their favorite sport, TV show, or food).
Event idea: School scavenger hunt + pizza party
A Back-to-School Party
Event idea: Get there and play + school supply drive
Event idea: Food truck picnic + scavenger hunt
Bonus tip: Add a school fundraising element with an easy raffle, such as a tricky tray. People can buy tickets and bid on things like totes or t-shirts with the school logo, free lunch from one of the food trucks, movie tickets, and any other goodies you can wrangle from local businesses.
Additional back-to-school event tips
- Make sure everyone has name badges with helpful information like what class they teach and whether they’re a student or parent!
- Everyone loves free food. Try to organize event sponsorship to defray some or all of the costs, or, when possible, use the school/PTA budget.
- Put someone on photo duty. Pictures make for great memories and school social media and yearbook content.
- Create a social media hashtag for all your events and include that information and your school’s social media handles on invitations. Then, encourage everyone to tag and share!
- Raffles and giveaways are always exciting, especially for something everyone wants! For example, a reserved parking spot for high school students or a batch of cupcakes from a local bakery for your elementary school student to share with classmates on their birthday would generate a lot of interest.